Golden Lion4 Market Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Built in 1623 as the Oxford Arms, the name changed to Golden Lion in 1722. This period saw the dawn of the 'Coaching Era' and the yard at the rear of the pub was the departure point for Winsen Red Wing Coaches. The bell to summon passengers for departure can still be seen, high up on the wall. Today the yard is a sheltered patio garden, with bench seating. The interior retains its charm, with timber beamed ceilings, part panelled walls and a large fireplace, now with a woodburner. Modernity has arrived in the form of a pool table and a dartboard. Part of the Venture Inns group which also owns Bridgetown Brewery at the Albert Inn, Totnes.